Wednesday, November 18, 2009

#14--Who wants to debate literary theory? Not me! But Melody, if you want to...I'm ready.

A couple weeks ago, I had the opportunity to help a lovely mother/daughter duo figure out how to download an audiobook through Overdrive to their iPod, from start to finish. They had been having trouble for weeks, and finally came in to see if they could get it to work on our download station.
To learn the process, I had downloaded a couple books to my laptop before, but I don't have an mp3 player/iPod, so I hadn't been able to step through that part yet.

The problem? When transferring audiobooks to iPods for the first time through Overdrive, you have to change a setting in iTunes under the iPod external device drive. The Overdrive media console and iTunes don't want to work together at first. Surprise surprise. So, I have actually had pretty good experiences assisting patrons with the downloadable audiobooks, meaning I've had successful experiences. But that doesn't negate the fact that it's a....process.

Personally, I don't like listening to books. I tried again recently, got 30 minutes in, and realized that I had no idea what was happening and had just wasted 30 minutes. It also could have been that I chose a pretentious postmodernist author, and that in fact NOBODY knows what he's talking about. And so it goes.
This is the second time that Melody has appeared in one of my titles. I bet Melody is a modernist. Now I want to debate literary theory. Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment